Born and raised in Jacmel, Haiti, I’m a self-taught software developer with a passion for applying what I learn to make an impact.
I have significant experience working in startups and fast-moving teams with fixed deadlines.
I am very flexible with different technologies and methodologies, so I am able to learn and adapt to new environments quickly. I also have experience hiring and managing other experienced software developers.
I am currently a Sr. Frontend Engineer at Aisle. I am not looking for new opportunities.
Technologies I Like
Those are the technologies I'm currently learning or plan on learning:
I'm also willing to learn them as I join a team.
Technologies I'm the Best at
I decided to become an expert at the following techs and skills. I also have years of professional experience with them:
- Nodejs with Expressjs
- React Native & Expojs
- UI/UX (Mostly with Figma)
Throughout my career, I've worn many different hats in the tech industry. This allowed me to accrue other skills that are important for the roles I want to fit:
- Project management (Agile)
- Business analysis
- Strategy development
- Team building and hiring
- Team management
- Quality assurance
- Communication & transparency
I'm a strong-minded person. Not irritable, not easily offended, patient, and pretty chill.
I tend to get competitive, but not in a negative way. It allows me to push myself and my teammates further.
I enjoy all kinds of humor, as long as they don't hurt other people's feelings. I'm mindful and empathetic, and I listen more than I speak so I can genuinely understand my interlocutor.
I take full responsibility for my mistakes and failures.
The following is my motto:
Lead by Example. That energy you serve is the same one you deserve.
- Joe-Bernick (Nick) Rameau
Natural Languages I Speak
I am a polyglot and enjoy learning new languages. I'm fluent (reading, writing, and speaking) in the following ones:
- Haitian Creole
And I'm actively learning Spanish.
People I Want to Work With
When I look for a new team to join, I look for and ask about the following:
- A solid and up-to-date workflow procedure - I keep my own one up to date and I have experience training teams to adopt it
- Clear responsibilities for everyone
- Strong-minded and empathetic people. No jerks.
- Open-source involvement
- Challenging problems
- Competitive and fair salary
I will favor open-source-centered companies in a heartbeat!
Roles I'm The Best at
I've spent years getting ready for the following roles:
- Engineering/Project Manager | CTO
- With the right executive teammates, I can successfully get a project from start to finish by levering all the resources available
- Tech Lead | Senior Software Developer
- Similar to the above, but in this role, I focus more on the project than the people
My Experience & Education
I've laid out all my professional experiences clearly enough on LinkedIn. You can also download my resume from there.
If not, click here to download the latest version.
You may notice that I hold no college degrees. I dropped out of college back in 2016 to take my education in hand.
I didn't see a clear future for me with the way I was being taught in Haiti. This is also when I joined the 42 Silicon Valley school.
Services I Offer
I'm also a Freelancer. I accept contract work so I can temporarily join or build your tech team.
Here are the standalone services I offer:
- Open-source Software (OSS) maintenance in the technologies I mentioned above
- Tech Lead Consultation and Team training
- UI/UX Design - to shape your ideas
- Database Design - I provide the diagrams, documentation, SQL or Sequelize/Mongoose models
- API Design - documentation and spec files. I use OpenAPI 3 and Swagger
- Website/Portfolio Development and Management - I use Ghostjs to allow you to focus on your content and online presence rather than Software
Outside of Work
Hey, I'm human :). There are so many other things I enjoy doing. Like:
- Contributing to OSS - I love the GitHub community!
- Dancing - Mostly shuffle dance
- Writing - I journal, write articles on here and take notes of my observations on Twitter
- Working out - I practice Calisthenics, no gyms
- Playing video games
- Playing guitar - I need more practice
- Hacky sacks
- Competitive programming
Oh and I love cats! :)
As I said, I have a passion for learning and because of the experiences and mental models I've gathered throughout my career, I can learn really fast.
This website is here to document my learning, show what I’ve built and what I’m working on.
Feel free to contact me if you see potential in me. I appreciate it :)
~ Joe-Bernick Rameau