Last Updated: July 2022
Born and raised in Jacmel, Haiti, I’m a self-taught Software Engineer with a knack for building, growing and learning from outstanding teams of Software Engineers while delivering complex solutions in a timely manner and within budget.
I have significant experience working in startups and fast-moving teams with fixed deadlines. I have over 5 years of managerial experience (Systems Engineer & Tech Lead) at multiple companies of different scale.
I am very flexible with different technologies and methodologies, so I am able to learn and adapt to new environments quickly.
Technologies I'm the Best at
I decided to become an expert at the following techs and skills. I also have years of professional experience with them:
- Serverless Architecture (AWS Lambda & Vercel)
- UI/UX (Mostly with Figma)
- Nodejs with Expressjs
- React Native & Expojs
Technologies I Like
Those are the technologies I'm currently learning or plan on learning:
I'm also willing to learn them as I join a team.
Throughout my career, I've worn many different hats in the tech industry. This allowed me to accrue other skills that are important for the roles I want to fit:
- Project management (Agile)
- Business analysis
- Strategy development
- Team building and hiring
- Team management
- Quality assurance
- Communication & transparency
I'm a strong-minded person. Not irritable, not easily offended, patient, and pretty chill.
I tend to get competitive, but not in a negative way. It allows me to push myself and my teammates further.
I enjoy all kinds of humor, as long as they don't hurt other people's feelings. I'm mindful and empathetic, and I listen more than I speak so I can genuinely understand my interlocutor.
I take full responsibility for my mistakes and failures.
The following is my motto:
Lead by Example. That energy you serve is the same one you deserve.
- Joe-Bernick (Nick) Rameau
Among all the things I value, the 5 most prominent ones people usually notice from me are honesty, professionalism, balance, autonomy, and leadership.
Natural Languages I Speak
I am a polyglot and enjoy learning new languages. I'm fluent (reading, writing, and speaking) in the following ones:
- Haitian Creole
And I'm actively learning German.
People I Want to Work With
When I look for a new team to join, I look for and ask about the following:
- The person, or people I report to / who my direct manager(s) will be
- The company values and sometimes, my manager's values
- The team/company's idea generation process flow
- Clear responsibilities for everyone
- Strong-minded and empathetic people
- Open-source involvement
- Challenging problems
- Competitive and fair salary
I will favor open-source-centered companies in a heartbeat!
Roles I'm The Best at
After over a decade in the industry, I've grown a preference for leadership and management roles.
At this point in my career, I feel ready to manage and give life to complex projects on schedule, while effectively building, motivating and learning from a solid team of Software Engineers.
My Experience & Education
I've laid out all my professional experiences clearly enough on LinkedIn. You can also download my resume from there.
You may notice that I hold no college degrees. I dropped out of college back in 2016 to take my education in hand.
I didn't see a clear future for me in a traditional college. This is also when I joined the 42 Silicon Valley school.
Services I Offer
I'm also a Freelancer. I accept contract work so I can temporarily join or build your tech team.
Here are the standalone services I offer:
- Open-source Software (OSS) maintenance in the technologies I mentioned above
- Tech Lead Consultation and Team training
- UI/UX Design - to shape your ideas
- Database Design - I provide the diagrams, documentation, SQL or Sequelize/Mongoose models
- API Design - documentation and spec files. I use OpenAPI 3 and Swagger
- Website/Portfolio Development and Management - I use Ghostjs to allow you to focus on your content and online presence rather than Software
Outside of Work
Hey, I'm human :). There are so many other things I enjoy doing. Like:
- Dancing - Mostly shuffle dance
- Writing - I journal, write articles on here and take notes of my observations on Twitter
- Working out - I practice Calisthenics (yeah, even at the gym XD)
- Playing video games
- Hacky sacks
- Competitive programming
- Contributing to OSS - I love the GitHub community!
Oh and I love cats! :)
This website is here to document my learning, show what I’ve built and what I’m working on.
Feel free to contact me if you see potential in me. I appreciate it :)
~ Nick Rameau